Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Back in the healthy lifestyle fight!

Several months ago, I began a wonderful program on a website called Sparkpeople.com. It's a totally free website that provides seemingly unlimited resources to help people get healthy and/or lose weight. I am one of those that needs both, so I joined. I can't tell you how impressed I am with this site. You weigh and measure yourself when you join, you track your exercise and food intake and you join teams that help you in your journey. They even provide fitness and food plans for you, if you want them. There are articles that include information on health issues, motivation, and pretty much anything else you might possibly want the scoop on. The support is amazing.

I'm telling you all of this, because despite how wonderful the site is, I still managed to fall by the wayside. I made the choice to let other things take precedence in my life. I used all kinds of excuses like being sick, busy, our finances (since eating healthy generally costs a little more) and just didn't feel like it. When I did the program regularly, I was energized. I was in a better mood, and I got more things done. Plus, I lost a little weight. It was so worth it.

I've come back to the realization that I really need this. One of the daily goals I set on the site today was to write in a journal every day. Writing about it helps to process what I'm doing, think through why I do the things I do, and hopefully fix some of those areas I'm really weak in. There are many areas in which I'm weak, but today, I'm going to start with exercise.

I was an athlete of sorts growing up. From age six, I played softball, and when I got old enough in school, I started playing basketball. I think I was a much better softball player than a basketball player, but I loved being physical on a regular basis. It made me feel strong and healthy. I really miss that feeling. That stops today. I'm going to post this, put on my shoes and get on the treadmill. I'm hoping this blog will keep me accountable. I clearly need the support, so here goes. Say prayers for me!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tina! I'm doing the weight thing with mom, and we started last Thursday right? I weighed in Monday, and I had lost 2 lb.!!!!! I'm glad that you have been successful in trying to lose weight! btw, have you read my blog entries lately?
    hate you! April Fools!!!! I really really love you actually! -Peace- & God Bless!

    ReplyDelete