Thursday, December 10, 2009

My faith in humanity has been restored...again

Not that I haven't always wanted to expect the best of people, but let's be honest, we are often let down by society. All you have to do is watch one NBC Nightly News airing and you begin to feel just a little worse about humanity and the choices made every day. It can be difficult at times to see the good in people. A couple of weeks ago, I witnessed it first hand.

My husband flew to Austin for a science teachers' conference. When he picked up his checked bags from baggage claim, he set his book bag down on a chair to find his car keys. He was struggling to find them, and inadvertently set a flip video camera (which belongs to the school) and his jump drive on the chair. When he found the keys, he grabbed his stuff and took off.

A couple of days later, I got an email, via Facebook, from a woman I didn't know. She told me that she was flying through the Lubbock airport and found my camera and jump drive. I was very confused, because not only did I have my camera and jump drive, but I hadn't been anywhere near the airport. I proceeded to share this with my husband, who after a couple of beats, got up and got his book bag. Sure enough, the mystery was solved.

This total stranger, who could have procured for herself an expensive new camera and thumb drive, took the time to research the drive and track me down. She then shipped it to me, asking nothing in return. She was just a good person. I'm grateful to Karen Sitton James and her husband for reminding me that good is out there all around us.

No comments:

Post a Comment