Monday, November 2, 2009

Just when I thought teen angst was in my past...

I realize that at 41, technically, I'm not anywhere near a teenager - chronologically anyway. Those who know me well might argue that I do, in fact, act like one on a regular basis. I get positively giddy when I get a present, I giggle on the phone with my girlfriends, get my feelings hurt fairly easily, and scowl at myself in the mirror daily. I have also recently started reading the "Twilight" series, and can't put it down!



All of that said, I do realize that I'm an adult. As a high school teacher, I've very clearly drawn lines between myself and my students, and have often thought of how thankful I am not to be where they are now. That's a very difficult time in their lives. I remember it all too well. While they're going through it, they need support and direction.



The kids here in Cotton Center are absolutely wonderful. When I left my teaching position after having my son, so many of my former students stayed in touch with me. When we go to football and basketball games, I spend a good portion of that time catching up with them. I just love them to death. Which is why when our pastor came to my husband and me and asked us to consider becoming the youth directors at the church, I was so conflicted. Was I qualified in the least to do that? What a HUGE responsibility.



Living in a small town as we do, it's difficult to get ordained, qualified youth ministers to come here, and if they do, they are usually just passing through. We have had some great ministers in the past (Zane and Tara, Hal, to name a few), but they were only able to serve for a short time.



After weeks of prayer, my husband and I decided we felt called to do it. We were voted in by the church yesterday. We are so honored that they would entrust their kids to us, and pray we can aspire to deserve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment